Thursday, September 3, 2009

Global Examples of Environmental Art Can Create Local Change

As humans effect on the environment becomes more and more apparent, environmental art has moved from landscape painting to socially engaging art with vivid messages on climate change.

I've heard so much buzz about environmental art lately, I'd like to put forth a few things over the next couple days that I've come across, both near and far. We'll start with the farthest away and move closer. The following piece is located in Beijing, a place on the other side of the world. The piece is a tool of communication on the future of China's population. In my own discoveries, as I move closer to the Triad, the lessons to be learned from these artists and activists become more concrete. I've realized that environmental art can function as more than a tool of communication; it can also be an active method for improving our local ecology.

Beijing


I ran across this piece at one of my favorite blogs, Inhabitat. To prepare for this year's Climate Change Summit in Copenhagen, the TckTckTck campaign positioned 100 sculptures of children carved in ice to represent the 1 billion lives that will be lost in China due to water shortages. Ice sculptures sounding cheesy as well? Check out photos of this piece, and you will see it is anything but. It is actually very beautiful and direct.


Here is a video by The Guardian which features some nice shots of the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment